Tuesday, July 5

I didn't watch Big B films for 20 years: Puri

From Powerstar Pawan Kalyan's 'Badri' to Bollywood superstar Big B's 'Bbuddah' what has changed is director Puri Jagannadh's stature but not his love for cinema. There is a dialogue in his film 'Neninthe' which says 'Cinema Hit Aina Inko Cinema teeyali... Flop aina inko cinema teeyali' which means irrespective of box office fate, film makers have to make another film.The dialogue is tailor made for Puri Jagannadh. An ardent lover of this medium, Puri's style of making cinema makes him an actor's favourite director. His love for movies can't be contested. He has continuously made two films every year ever since he started directing. Director, producer and a passionate human being,Puri is debuting in Bollywood with 'Bbuddah-Hoga Tera Baap' starring the country's biggest superstar Amitabh Bachchan. Indiaglitz talks to Puri on his experiences shooting with Big B, his upcoming films, his future plans, his views on Ramgopal Varma and more.... Excerpts from a freewheeling chat..How did 'Bbuddah-Hoga Tera Baap' happen to you?Puri:I watched a movie called 'Taken'.I wanted to make it with Amitabh Bachchan.I rang up Ramgopal Varma and told him that I wanted to make a movie called 'Taken' with Big B. He asked me if I can'twrite a story on my own.I said I can. He simply said start writing and hung up.I was hurt.I wrote a story keeping Amitabh in mind and took the script to Ramgopal Varma. He was kind enough to come with me to Mumbai and introduce me to Amitabh Bachchan.What did Amitabh tell you after listening to your story?Heard you have signed a movie with Abhishek Bachchan as the hero?Puri:Yes, I am going to direct a movie with Abhishek Bachchan as the hero. I will be making 'The Businessman' with Mahesh Babu in Telugu. I narrated the same story line to Abhishek and he too liked it. I am going to make 'The Businessman' in Hindi with Abhishek Bachchan.A lot of Telugu actors are seen in this movie.Did you all talk in Telugu on the sets?Puri:Oh Yes. Whenever Charmee spoke to me in Telugu, Amitabh was miffed.He couldn't understand the language and so he asked us to talkonly in English. It was fun working for this film. Prakash Raj, Subbaraju also played important roles. Telugu music composer Anoop gave the background score and fight master Vijay choreographed the action sequences for Bbuddah.How is the feedback for Bbuddah so far?Puri:This movie is being screened almost every day in Mumbai for a few film personalities.It is like Bbudah film festival.(laughs). A few critics who watched the movie liked it very much. Film maker R Balki who saw the movie was so impressed that he shot five promos for this movie free of cost. The trailers and promos that you see in TV now are shotby Balki. He didn't charge a penny for it.Likewise, stars and media in Mumbai are in awe with Amitabh's look in the film. I am sure it will be a hit.Imran Khan's 'Delly Belly' is also releasing this week. Aamir Khan did an item number in this film. Are you ready for the competition with Aamir?Puri:Amitabh Bachchan is much younger than Imran Khan. I am confident Bbudah-Hoga Tera Baap willdo well Will you go the RGV way and settle down in Mumbai?Puri:I will do films here andthere. I want to direct moremovies in Hindi. Wherever there is work, I will go there.Cinema Hit Aina, Flop Aina, teestune undali Kada... Hit taruvatha flop raavatam, flop taruvata hit kottatam common Kada... (Irrespective of whether the movie is a hit or a flop, we have to continue making films. Hits follow flops and vice versa..theseare very common here) .He ends this interview flashing his trademark smile that refuses to die irrespective of his movie's box office fate......